Sunday, January 30, 2011

Finally...

Sorry it has taken me so long to get this started... I confess to having a bit of anxiety about these things.  I have to get over the feeling that I am publishing my diary for the world to see.


I am happy to report that I landed an assignment at The Heidelberg Project (www.heidelberg.org).  I really wanted to be matched with them since the work they do goes hand in hand with the topic of my Master's Essay in Art History.  In my essay, I am considering how architecture becomes the site of artistic and social expression in the urban landscape, with specific reference to work done in Detroit in response to abandoned structures.  This has obviously been touched on numerous times in the media, but the topic has been left relatively untouched by scholars.  Of course, consideration of urban art is still a burgeoning field in comparison to other art historical pursuits.  It stands to reason that academic consideration of any contemporary form of art will seem relatively untouched as opposed to say, the art of Ancient Rome.  Aside from the opportunity to dip my toes into uncharted waters, studying contemporary art provides the ability to experience the historical moment first hand.  In terms of research, I can't think of anything more rewarding than working with the people that actually make this happen... perhaps there is a bit of an anthropologist in me.  Thus, if I want to write about groups of people transforming dilapidated buildings into artistic statements, why not get involved with one of those groups?  I am very excited to see what insights come of this experience... and will keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Taylor don't feel alone in the anxiety! I've been stressing out myself, wondering if I have what the Heidelberg is looking for, especially since I have a tendency to close myself off when working with new people. If you are still wondering about what your particular assignment is there, maybe we could partner up on the book together? I'm sure Sheryl wouldn't mind and that way I won't feel so alone in the stress of things! Plus I think you would be a good fit, we have to sort of read through some of the stories that come with the shoes to decide which ones we will use in the book (each shoe has a particular story to go with it) Let me know and lets keep in touch, I could always use a new friend :) also, feel free to email me at bfranz18@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete